Pathlight helps you measure your performance quickly. Set up metrics to track your most important numbers. A Metric is an important measure of your performance that you or your management team has decided to track, like "CSAT Score Last 7D," "Calls Made This Week," or "Closed Won Revenue This Quarter." Pathlight helps you track how you and your team are performing in each of your Metrics.
Who creates a Metric?
If your entire organization is using Pathlight, then your metrics are probably created by your leadership or operations team. If you are a manager using Pathlight just for your team, then you will be creating your own metrics.
Where does my data come from?
There are three different ways to bring data into Pathlight:
- Live data connection, e.g., an API connection to Salesforce or Zendesk (recommended)
- CSV Upload
Manual data entry
How to create a Metric using an API
Part 1 - Create the Metric
- Open a Path
2. Select New Metric
3. Add a Title
Tip: Aim for a title that is short but descriptive. You want something your team members will recognize easily.
Note: The priority of a metric will have an affect on the Health score of any team or individual associated to the metric.
5. Select a Type (Number, Percent, Currency or Text)
6. Select a Data Source (Manual, API or Calculated)
API - Only available to those using a live data connection (e.g., Salesforce or Zendesk). You may have multiple data sources available to you, depending on how your account is configured.
Manual - This is data inputted manually into Pathlight via manual data entry or CSV upload.
Calculated - This allows you to subtract, add, multiply or divide a metric by another metric or a number. You can only use Metric's from within this same Path.
Note: The following instructions focus on metrics using the API data source
7. Select the object where the data you want to measure is stored (e.g., Opportunities in Salesforce or Tickets in Zendesk)
8. Select the data you want to measure. First, select how you want to aggregate your data, and then select the data you want to show.
For example, do you want to count the number of tickets, sum the total amount of revenue, or average the duration of your calls?
9. Select how you want to measure the field (Count, Average, Distinct Count, Sum or Percent)
10. Select how you want to attribute this data (e.g., Owner, Created By or a custom field) Basically, how are your team members related to this data?
For example, a Salesforce opportunity has an owner (usually an Account Exec), a creator (often an SDR), and may have custom fields your organization uses (e.g., CSM). The attribution you choose depends on what your team does.
Part 2 - Add a Filter
11. Select the field(s) you want to filter your data against (e.g. Closed Date)
Note: these are all “And,” not “Or” functions.
Tip: type ahead to find fields faster.
12 Select how you want to filter the field (e.g. equals, greater than, current week, etc.)
Remember that anything you type in as freeform text needs to exactly match the data source it is being synced from (e.g., Stage equals Closed Won).
If you want to select multiple values, use “is in” or “is not in” (e.g., Stage is in Negotiation and Presentation).
13. Select Preview Data button. This will show you the data your query is pulling in before you save your metric. Learn more about query results in this article starting with step 4.
14. Select Run Query. You can add or remove fields here as needed
15. By completing these steps, your metric is pulling in data. Once you click Save, it will be published to your Path, and visible to anyone who has access to that Path
Before you publish your metric, you may want to add a Goal.
Note: You will have to manually sync the metric if you want to see the data right away.
Data not looking right? Send a message to our Pathlight support team using the chat in the bottom right corner.