Once you have your team set up, it's time to create a Path. A Path is a thematic grouping of the key metrics you care about. It's set up like a grid, where all your team members make up the rows, and your metrics make up the columns. It's your new favorite spreadsheet.
The easiest way to create your Path depends on where your data is coming from. There are 3 ways to create a Path:
- API data connection (e.g., connection to Salesforce or Zendesk) - recommended
- CSV data import
- Manual data entry
No matter where your data comes from you can quickly reveal insights - who's knocking it out of the park? who's on a downward trend? - by using "Highlights" in the top right corner of your Path. You can easily sort all your data by simply clicking on the column header.
API Data Connection
If you connected an external data source (e.g., Salesforce) when you created your Pathlight account, you have an API connection to use! If you did not, you can always add a data source in Settings > Data Integrations.
To set up your Path:
- Click New Path in the upper right hand corner from anywhere in Pathlight, and select a relevant Path template, which contains pre-built metrics. We recommend starting with a template, as you can always edit the metrics it contains. If you'd prefer to start with a blank slate, select "Start from Scratch."
- Add your team to the path rows either individually or add your entire team at once in Gear Icon > Settings > People.
- Add as many metrics as you want by clicking the plus column. Edit existing metrics by clicking on the three dots in the column header. In Metric Settings, click "Data Source" to start building your query.
- If you have questions about how to structure your query, just shoot us a note in the chat icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.
- Read more about setting up goals in the next article.
CSV Data Import
- Click New Path in the upper right hand corner from anywhere in Pathlight, and select "Import CSV".
- Choose your CSV file. Select the row identifier (this should be the column that contains your team members) and complete column mapping. When you import data, Pathlight will automatically create your Path grid.
- The next time you import your CSV, Pathlight will remember your previous column mapping to make the import process simple and fast.
Manual Data Entry
- Click New Path in the upper right hand corner from anywhere in Pathlight, and select the "Create empty template" template.
- Add your team to the path rows either individually or add your entire team in Gear Icon > Settings > People.
- Add as many metrics as you want by clicking the plus column and populating the Metric Settings. Read more about setting up goals in the next article.
- Add data by double clicking any cell in your Path to edit it.
Now that you have data, it's time to add in some goals to make this Path really powerful.